Amazon announces new Baltimore County fulfilment centre
Amazon is to open its fourth Maryland fulfilment facility in Baltimore’s Sparrows Point, which will create more than 1,500 full-time positions.
“We’re excited to open a new, state-of-the-art fulfilment centre in historic Sparrows Point and to continue innovating in a state committed to providing great opportunities for jobs and customer experience. Maryland has an incredible workforce, and we are happy to add to the more than 5,000 associates already serving customers in the state,” says Sanjay Shah, Amazon’s Vice President of North America Customer Fulfilment.
Amazon in Maryland by the numbers:
- Three existing fulfilment facilities, two of which located in Baltimore city limits
- Two fulfilment centres, one sortation centre co-located with Prime Now hub
- 855,000 square feet for the new facility located at 1700 Sparrows Point Boulevard
- More than 11,500 solar panels installed on the rooftops of Baltimore fulfilment facilities generate more than 3.5MW of combined peak power. Amazon claims that its rooftop solar projects typically reduce the amount of electricity the site draws from the utility each year by 30%
- More than 100 restaurants in Baltimore leverage Amazon’s tech to offer customers fast delivery on hot food through Amazon Restaurants
- 50,000+ authors, sellers and developers in Maryland growing their businesses and reaching new customers on Amazon products and services
- 3.3 million total square feet footprint of the four fulfilment centres together