The five most important retail tech news stories of the week
It’s Friday, the weekend is nearly here, so let’s kick back and reflect on another eventful week for the retail technology space. Here's your briefing on the most important and interesting stories from the past five days.
1. Klarna becomes most valuable European FinTech following major funding round
Swedish PayTech venture Klarna has closed a funding round valuing it at $5.5 billion, ahead of a potential stock market flotation. It now ranks as the largest private FinTech in Europe and the eighth most valuable one globally.
2. M&S Food gears up for 2020 online launch
Marks and Spencer has completed its acquisition of half of Ocado Retail, giving it a food delivery service for the first time.
3. Amazon's Scout delivery robots have arrived in California
Amazon’s self-driving robots, called Scout, are set to begin delivering packages to customers in Irvine, California.
4. Walmart Coin won’t face same regulatory heat as Libra
Walmart’s proposed digital coin is unlikely to face as much regulatory pushback as Facebook’s Libra project, according to Jaret Seiberg, a senior policy analyst at Cowen.
5. Has boohoo made a boo-boo with Karen Millen, Coast deal?
Karen Millen and Coast are an unlikely fit for the fast fashion-focused boohoo, argues GlobalData.