Six more big retail tech plays in 2019
These innovative retail tech initiatives should be on your radar right now. At the end of the year, we will be putting together a shortlist of the coolest tech plays in 2019 and asking our judging panel to vote for their favourites across various categories. Stay tuned for more info on that.
1. Wirecard claims payments first with new smart mirror
Wirecard has revealed a prototype for a new smart mirror, developed by its Innovation Lab. This is pitched as Germany's first intelligent mirror through which people can also pay.
2. Giant Eagle, Grabango announce checkout-free stores pilot
3. Kroger’s 84.51° launches omnichannel analytics tool
4. Walmart joins forces with Mark Cuban for AI, high schoolers initiative
American businessman and investor Mark Cuban has teamed up with Microsoft and Walmart for a programme that teaches fundamental artificial intelligence concepts to Dallas public school students.
5. Sainsbury's tests out pizza deliveries with Deliveroo
Sainsbury’s is teaming up with Deliveroo to deliver pizzas and other products to customers’ homes.
6. Starbucks backs Brightloom in mobile experience push
Starbucks is taking an undisclosed stake in Brightloom, formerly known as eatsa, as it looks to boost its mobile ordering and payment options.